It is illegal in the US for non-licensed individuals to ship wine through the mail. If you would like to send someone wine, you will need to buy wine through a licensed company. Fortunately, there are many companies that can send fine vintages, bottles, gift baskets, and club memberships to your recipient.
How to send a bottle of wine as a gift?
- 1. Add the bottles you want to your basket. When you order the wine,you will be asked how many bottles you want. Select or type in the number. Click
- 2. Check out when you are ready to pay. The check out screen will calculate how much your shipping will cost. If the shipping is too high for you,you
- 3. Select expedited delivery for the best results. Expedited delivery will cost more,but it will also protect your wine against bad weather. Wine
- 4. Select gift wrapping at checkout if available. Since you are ordering the wine online,you won’t be able to wrap your gift. Some wine companies may
- 1 Can you send bottles of wine in the post?
- 2 How can I send a bottle of alcohol to a friend?
- 3 How do I send wine as a gift?
- 4 How do you safely post wine?
- 5 Can I mail alcohol as a gift?
- 6 How can I ship alcohol as a gift?
- 7 Will UPS know if I ship alcohol?
- 8 Can I send wine through FedEx?
- 9 Will USPS know if I ship alcohol?
- 10 What states can you legally ship wine to?
- 11 Why is alcohol shipping so expensive?
- 12 Can I ship a bottle of wine through UPS?
- 13 What happens if you get caught shipping wine?
- 14 Personalized Wine Gifts – Send a Bottle of Wine!
- 15 Wine Delivery Gift – Good Wine to Send as a Gift
- 16 How to Ship Alcohol
- 17 How to Ship Alcohol In-State
- 18 How to Ship Alcohol to Another State
- 19 How to Ship Alcohol Overseas
- 20 How to Send a Bottle of Wine As a Gift
- 21 Individuals Sending Wine in the Mail
- 22 Shipping Wine to Another State
- 23 Shipping Carriers for Wine
- 24 Best Options for Mailing Wine as a Gift
- 25 Shipping From a Winery
- 26 Use an Online Licensed Wine Retailer
- 27 Become a Wine Club Member
- 28 How to Ship Wine (Legally) Through the Mail
- 29 How to Ship Wine: General Overview
- 30 Best Ways to Ship Wine
- 31 Too long, didn’t read?
- 32 Wine Shipping: How to Ship Wine as a Gift
- 33 7 Tips to Keep in Mind When Shipping Wine
- 33.1 Check Your Recipient’s State Laws for Wine Delivery
- 33.2 Know Your Friend’s or Family Member’s Wine Preferences
- 33.3 Carefully Package Each Bottle of Wine
- 33.4 Find the Right Box
- 33.5 Take Weather into Consideration
- 33.6 Some Bottles Travel Better than Others
- 33.7 Simplify Shipping Wine with Beautiful, Prepackaged Bottles and Baskets
- 34 Wine Gift Baskets & Gift Baskets with Wine by Harry & David
- 35 How to Send Wine as a Gift Online
- 36 How to Legally Send Wine as a Gift Online
- 37 Choosing the Best Wine Gift for Your Recipient
- 38 How to Make Sure Your Wine Travels Safely
- 39 How to Personalize Your Gift
- 40 Best Wine Delivery Services of 2022
- 40.1 Best Organic/Natural/Biodynamic Stock :Chambers Street Wines
- 40.2 Best Unique Options :Gary’s WineMarketplace
- 40.3 Best Rare Finds :K L Wine Merchants
- 40.4 Best Deals :Last Bottle
- 40.5 Best High-End :SommPicks
- 40.6 Best Customization :Winc
- 40.7 Best Mass Market :Wine.com
- 40.8 Best Bottle Sets :Wine Insiders
- 41 Final Verdict
- 42 Compare The Best Wine Delivery Services
- 43 Guide to Choosing the Best Wine Delivery Services
- 44 Frequently Asked Questions
- 45 Methodology
Can you send bottles of wine in the post?
Alcoholic beverages and liquids containing more than 70% alcohol by volume (ABV). UK – Allowed in the mail, with restrictions and packaging guidelines below: Volume must not exceed 1 litre per item. No more than two items in any one parcel.
How can I send a bottle of alcohol to a friend?
To safely ship alcoholic beverages, you should use strong cardboard boxes that have trays inside of them that provide sections for each bottle. This will keep the bottles separate and prevent them from smashing into one another. You can also wrap the bottles in bubble wrap for additional safety.
How do I send wine as a gift?
How to Ship Wine as a Gift
- Check Your Recipient’s State Laws for Wine Delivery.
- Know Your Friend’s or Family Member’s Wine Preferences.
- Carefully Package Each Bottle of Wine.
- Find the Right Box.
- Take Weather into Consideration.
- Some Bottles Travel Better than Others.
How do you safely post wine?
Wine and Champagne:
- Volume per item should not exceed 1 litre per container, wrap in polythene and seal with tape. Surround with absorbent material such as newspaper and sufficient cushioning material to protect each item from breakage.
- Mark as “FRAGILE” when sending glass bottles.
Can I mail alcohol as a gift?
The United States Postal Service (USPS) prohibits sending alcoholic beverages through the mail, but you can ship alcohol via couriers, such as FedEx or UPS if you’re a licensed alcohol shipper.
How can I ship alcohol as a gift?
You must package the alcohol in the center of the shipment, away from the package’s sides. Your package must be deemed sturdy by UPS. You must clearly label the shipment and meet UPS, origin state, and destination state guidelines. You must clearly label the package as containing alcohol.
Will UPS know if I ship alcohol?
UPS sends a shipment notification email to the recipient informing them when the Spirits shipment will be delivered so that an adult at least 21 years of age can be available to complete the delivery. Quantum View Notify is provided at no additional charge.
Can I send wine through FedEx?
As an individual, you may not ship alcohol, including wine, beer, liquor, or champagne, through the FedEx network. If you’d like to send alcohol as a gift to a friend or family member, you’ll need to have it shipped from the licensed retailer or winery you purchased it from.
Will USPS know if I ship alcohol?
Heads up: USPS will deny your shipment if your package has any labeling or branding that shows it MIGHT carry alcohol! If you’re asking yourself why this matters, keep in mind that lots of people like to reuse old packaging for new shipments.
What states can you legally ship wine to?
Alaska, California, Idaho, Louisiana, Missouri, Nebraska, Nevada, New Hampshire, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oregon, Virginia, Washington, D.C., West Virginia and Wyoming: Those are the only 14 states (plus D.C.) that allow wine to be shipped to consumers from out-of-state retailers, according to the Times.
Why is alcohol shipping so expensive?
Delivering to rural areas means more driving per package delivered, so that gets factored in to the cost, too. Gasoline prices and the cost of labor keep going up so that impacts shipping costs, too. Some smaller shippers offer wine deliveries in climate-controlled vehicles. That adds cost, too.
Can I ship a bottle of wine through UPS?
Who Can Ship Wine. UPS only accepts packages containing wine from shippers who are licensed under applicable law and who have signed and entered into a contract with UPS for the transportation of wine. UPS accepts shipments of beer or spirits only among and between selected states.
What happens if you get caught shipping wine?
That being said, it is important to know that there are consequences if you are caught and that shipping alcohol is at your own risk. Typically, you’ll get a written warning on an initial violation. Subsequent violations could lead to fines and or, gulp, jail time, so be mindful and be smart.
Personalized Wine Gifts – Send a Bottle of Wine!
What is the one present that has remained with you across the years? It’s unlikely to be the largest, shiniest, or most costly item on the market. Was it because of the necklace your mother gave you? Is it the sweater your father gave you? What about a framed photograph of you and your friend? Whatever it was, it included a specific combination of ingredients that distinguished it from the others. Your favorite gift made you feel in a way that no other gift had ever made you feel before. Purchasing a bottle of wine from Personal Wine is the ideal blend of quality, a personal touch, and the ability to create or even recreate a memorable experience.
Honestly, this gift may make them cry
Because you made it, your gift is really one-of-a-kind when you give it as Personal Wine. There is no other present that will convey the reasons why you and that person’s relationship is so special—whether it’s for a holiday, a retirement celebration, or simply to show you care. You’ll share an inside joke, a lovely image from the past, or even a special experience that only the two of you have shared. When they see your present, it will touch their hearts, melt their hearts, and confirm your position as someone very unique in their life.
Be the most thoughtful gift giver possible.
Wine Delivery Gift – Good Wine to Send as a Gift
The fact that you created the wine ensures that your gift is one of a kind. Regardless of whether it’s for a holiday, a retirement celebration, or simply to show you care, no other present will convey the significance of your and that person’s relationship like a personalized gift. You’ll share an inside joke, a lovely image from the past, or even a special moment that only the two of you have experienced together. It is your present that will touch their hearts, melt their hearts, and confirm your position as someone very unique in their life.
Be the most thoughtful person you know.
How to Ship Alcohol
Even if you can figure out the laws and regulations of other carriers, you still have to adhere to municipal, state, and national regulations as well. Let us inform you that they all have their own set of rules. wine bottles in a cargo container Image courtesy of Steven Heap / Adobe Stock Here’s a little history lesson on why exporting alcoholic beverages is so difficult: it all goes back to Prohibition, when the sale of alcoholic beverages was prohibited under the 18th Amendment. Thanks to the passage of the 21st Amendment in 1919, that abominable concept was finally put to rest—but only with one caveat: it allowed states the authority to adopt their own rules surrounding the manufacture, distribution, and sale of alcoholic beverages.
- Perhaps this is why the carriers ready to carry booze from state to state — as well as from overseas back into the United States — refuse to accept shipments of alcoholic beverages from customers.
- (And even if you did, you probably wouldn’t be reading this post in the first place.) The alcohol shipping policies of FedEx may be found here, while the alcohol shipping policies of UPS, which are nearly identical to FedEx’s, can be found here.
- You must inform the transporter that your cargo contains alcoholic beverages.
- Furthermore, an adult must sign for it.
(And no, we’re not talking about snatching it from someone else.) Our specialists are available to provide you with advice on obtaining alcohol from one state to another and from other countries.
How to Ship Alcohol In-State
On the surface, this appears to be the quickest and most convenient shipping method. After all, you won’t have to be concerned about another state putting a grip on your spirits since you won’t be crossing state boundaries. However, as Seth Weinberg, professor of food law and policy at Columbia Law School, points out, there are still municipal rules to worry with as well. Due to the fact that you would be shipping directly from the shop or distributor, Weinberg notes that “local businesses are expected to know their own rules, and may serve as a wonderful source of rapid answers when you are considering buying a present for someone.” For example, certain states may restrict the distribution of more than one bottle at a time, or they may limit the number of bottles of alcohol that may be supplied to a person in a given year, according to Mahesh Lekkala, owner of Wine Legend, which has locations in New York and New Jersey.
These criteria will be well-known to any reputable retailer.
How to Ship Alcohol to Another State
When transporting alcoholic beverages over state lines, “you must consider the regulations of both the shipping state and the receiving state,” according to Weinberg. You shouldn’t squander your time or your money, for example, while sending a bottle of wine from a trip along Pennsylvania’s wine path to a family in Mississippi. In Mississippi, while it is entirely lawful to transport wine from this northern state, receiving wine shipments from this state is also legally permitted in Mississippi.
According to Lekkala, Mississippi does not qualify as a reciprocal state, which means that it does not accept shipments of alcoholic beverages from other states or other nations.
Of course, there is a simple way to get past these complicated restrictions as well.
Sending that brew over state lines will be considerably more difficult than providing a credit card number over the phone to the seller.
How to Ship Alcohol Overseas
The rules of both the shipping and receiving states must be considered when moving alcoholic beverages over state lines, according to Weinberg. So, for example, if you want to send a bottle of wine from a trip along Pennsylvania’s wine route to a cousin in Mississippi, don’t spend your time or money doing so. In Mississippi, while it is entirely lawful to transport wine from this northern state, receiving wine shipments from this state is also legally legal. This summer, though, the state made it permissible for local businesses to transport alcoholic beverages to consumers’ homes.
For further information on reciprocal states and other out-of-state shipment regulations, see this website.
Lekkala advises that before shipping your brother a new brew, check online to see whether there is a merchant in his state that sells the beverage you want to send him.
Sending that brew over state lines will be far more difficult than providing a credit card number on the phone. According to Lekkala, “Even state-controlled retailers are realizing that they’re losing business to other states and are expanding the range of products they offer.”
How to Send a Bottle of Wine As a Gift
BartekSzewczyk/iStock/GettyImages Your favorite malbec or exquisite riesling has been discovered, and you want to share it with friends and family members all across the country. You’re a generous person, aren’t you? Unfortunately, shipping wine from your local post office is not as straightforward as simply boxing it up and mailing it. Every state has its own set of laws and regulations governing the shipment of alcoholic beverages to and from residences and companies, making wine gift-giving a difficult undertaking.
Individuals Sending Wine in the Mail
When the United States ended Prohibition, we enacted a series of regulations governing the sale and purchase of wine, beer, and other alcoholic drinks, as well as the manner in which they might be sold and purchased. In order to legally transport or deliver wine anywhere in the United States, you must be a licensed wine merchant in most states. There are few notable exceptions, such as auctioneers that deal in costly collector wines, but in the majority of circumstances, it is unlawful for any unauthorized citizen to ship wine to another individual.
Shipping Wine to Another State
If you want to send a bottle of wine to a buddy who lives across town, all you have to do is think about your state’s liquor regulations. When you send wine as a present to someone in another state, you are stepping between two separate legal jurisdictions. Up until the year 2005, state legislatures were in charge of deciding which companies may export wine and where it could be delivered from, resulting in a maze of laws that were both predictable and bewildering at the same time. The Supreme Court addressed the matter in theGranholm v.
The retail wine situation today is complex, with a complicated web of restrictions that apply to both vineyards and out-of-state wine sellers.
Shipment of wine from one state to another is lawful or illegal depending on who is performing the shipment, where the wine is being delivered from, and which state the wine is being shipped to.
Shipping Carriers for Wine
The practice of sending wine as a gift is not permitted anywhere in the United States, as it is unlawful to transfer alcohol in any form through the United States postal service in any manner. The United States Postal Service (USPS) forbids the mailing of alcoholic beverages, either domestically or internationally. Unless otherwise specified, wine must be transported by commercial carriers. Under some conditions, both UPS and FedEx will send alcoholic beverages. Regardless of the method used, the shipper must have an account with the shipping company, the wine must be properly packaged to help prevent breakage, the packages must be clearly labeled as containing alcohol, and the final delivery cannot be completed unless an adult over the age of 21 is present to sign for it.
Best Options for Mailing Wine as a Gift
There’s no way to pick up your favorite bottle of wine at your local supermarket and send it across the nation to your closest buddy, at least not if you want to avoid breaching a number of federal rules. There are a variety of possibilities for obtaining that wine, or at the very least another that she would enjoy just as much, in a legal manner. Even though you’ll need to hire a middleman, he or she may provide professional guidance on selecting excellent wines that you and your pal can enjoy on future occasions.
Shipping From a Winery
You’ve probably discovered a new favorite sort of wine because you went on a tour of the winery and sampled the free samples they were giving out. Of course, this is why they provided a complimentary wine tasting. A certain number of individuals will regard it to be their new favorite, so they are prepared for that. Nevertheless, apart from the obvious marketing, most vineyards provide simple delivery to states all throughout the country, allowing customers to enjoy their favorite beverages with friends and family members.
They may even be able to provide you with a pamphlet that has information on pricing, varieties, and delivery charges.
Someone will be more than delighted to make arrangements for a holiday present for a friend or relative on your behalf.
Use an Online Licensed Wine Retailer
Licensed wine sellers in the great majority of states have the option of selling their products and delivering them virtually anywhere in the United States without incurring additional fees. The regulation does not apply everywhere; there are still certain jurisdictions that do not allow wine to be transported to residences or businesses under certain circumstances. However, while the majority of states allow for this privilege, Alabama, Oklahoma, and Utah do not allow for wine to be transported directly to individuals.
However, in the majority of circumstances, you’ll be allowed to purchase wine online and have it mailed to a friend or relative as a gift.
If you make a mistake, you won’t have to worry about learning arcane regulations or incurring penalties if you don’t follow them.
The fact that you can often get better deals at wine retailers than you can at wineries is another perk of doing business with them.
No matter what type of discount your local vineyard has to offer, it’s always worth investigating internet stores to see if they can offer you a better value on the same product. WineLibrary, WTSO, Bottlerocket, and Garagiste are just a few of the reputable online wine sellers.
Become a Wine Club Member
When you become a member of an online wine club, presenting a gift of wine to friends or family members becomes a straightforward chore. Wine clubs are permitted to ship to practically every state in the United States. The advantage here is that your club is likely to have access to wines that are not available via commercial stores, allowing you to give a superior bottle of wine as a present. When you join a wine club, you aren’t doing it to take advantage of huge discounts on your favorite vintage.
- To put it another way, these wines will be well worth the investment.
- Alternatively, they are useful for customers who wish to mail a really exceptional wine to a friend but are unable to locate the item they want from ordinary internet wine sellers.
- According to a number of criteria, such as “best red wine club,” “best premium wine club,” “best present wine club,” “best wine club to give as a gift,” and “best wine of the month club,” this website ranks wine clubs.
- She is always keeping up with the latest culinary and wine trends, and she has even developed her own exclusive coffee bean mix.
How to Ship Wine (Legally) Through the Mail
Given how close the holidays are approaching, many folks over the age of 21 are preparing to put down their kale smoothies and go for the bottle of wine. That’s correct, the holiday season, which includes Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve, has officially begun. Considering that it is also a season of gift-giving, many more people will attempt to traverse the maze of regulations that regulate how to distribute wine over the mail. In spite of the fact that we were founded by booze-loving colonials who felt that “Alcohol might cure the ill, strengthen the weak, amuse the old, and overall make the world a better place,” we Americans have made shipping wine to one another a nightmare.
How to Ship Wine: General Overview
With the holidays quickly coming, many individuals over the age of 21 are preparing to put down their kale smoothies and go for the bottle of wine instead. That’s correct, the holiday season, which includes Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve, is here. As a result, many more people will attempt to traverse the maze of restrictions that regulate how wine should be shipped over the mail during this festive season. Americans make it extremely difficult to transport wine to one another, which is ironic considering that our country was founded by booze-loving colonials who felt that “Alcohol could cure the ill, strengthen those who were weak, enliven the old, and overall make the world a better place.” The following information will help you if you decide to accept the challenge.
Best Ways to Ship Wine
With the holidays rapidly coming, many individuals over the age of 21 are preparing to put down their kale smoothies and go for the bottle of wine instead. That’s correct, the holiday season, which includes Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year’s Eve, has begun. Due to the fact that it is also a season of gift-giving, many more people will attempt to traverse the maze of restrictions that regulate how to transport wine by mail. In spite of the fact that we were founded by booze-loving colonials who felt that “Alcohol might cure the ill, strengthen the weak, enliven the old, and generally make the world a better place,” we Americans have made shipping wine to one another a difficult task.
Order from a Winery or Vineyard
Fun fact: Currently, wine is produced in every state in the United States. People, even Alaska makes wine! It’s true! With such a diverse selection of vineyards to pick from, it’s a good idea to double-check whether there’s a winery close to the lucky recipient you’re hoping to surprise. Sure, you might not be able to send them the precise bottle of California Cabernet that you had in mind when you first started thinking about it. However, if they are lovers of the winery or just want to support local companies, placing an order this way is a no-brainer for them.
In addition, if the individual genuinely adores a certain wine that is made outside of the state, it never hurts to inquire as to whether it is possible to get some directly from the vineyard that makes the wine.
Purchasing wine online is a rather straightforward process, as is fast becoming the case across most businesses these days. Choose one of the main online merchants (Wine Folly has a decent list of them), choose a bottle that looks excellent, confirm that the retailer can transport wine to the state where your buddy resides, and you’re good to go. The introduction of Amazon.com to the alcohol transportation market in 2012 made it easier than ever before to ship wine throughout the United States.
Send a Gift Card
It’s true that this isn’t really shipping wine, but it’s occasionally the most convenient choice. In the first place, all wine shipments and deliveries require that someone over the age of 21 be present to sign for the shipment or delivery. Your delivery will be refused if it arrives at your door while no one is home – or if the only person who happens to be present is your 14-year-old nephew. You may experience a delay in receiving your gift, and the wine may even spoil if it is stored in a shipping facility with very hot or low temperatures.
The recipient can pick a local wine at his or her leisure when they receive a gift card from a wine store, local vineyard, or other wine merchant. There is no risk of anything horrible happening to their bottles while in transit when they receive a wine gift card.
Too long, didn’t read?
The trick to shipping wine without being stressed is to keep in mind that wine clubs, wine stores, and vineyards all have well-paid employees on hand who are responsible for ensuring that all of the requirements are followed. Keep in mind that as long as you adhere to the alternatives listed above and do not try to smuggle a personal bottle to your friend through the USPS, you should be alright. Drew is a former professional basketball player who went on to earn a degree from Harvard. A big part of his interest is generating information that helps individuals advance in their jobs, save more money, and reach financial independence.
Wine Shipping: How to Ship Wine as a Gift
The gift of a fantastic bottle of wine is always a fun way to celebrate a special event with family and friends, or even just because. There are hundreds of different varietals to select from when it comes to enjoying a bottle of wine at home, either on its own or with a favorite meal. Even if your gift recipient lives across town or across the nation, you may make their celebration even more special by sending wine right to their home. The following article will offer you with some important points to bear in mind when shipping wine as a gift to a friend, family member, or loved one.
7 Tips to Keep in Mind When Shipping Wine
Before you drop off your loved one’s favorite bottle of wine at your local shipping provider, double-check the following suggestions to ensure that the wine is picked, packaged, delivered, and enjoyed to the best of its ability by everyone involved.
Check Your Recipient’s State Laws for Wine Delivery
WARNING: CONSULT YOUR RECIPIENT’S STATE LAWS REGARDING WINE DELIVERY Can ship nearly anything; nevertheless, there are some restrictions and requirements. We are unable to transport any wine at all. Wine shipping rules differ from state to state: most states allow wine merchants or liquor stores to send direct-to-consumer wine to a residential address; however, there are certain exclusions depending on the state in which your receiver resides. The types and quantities of alcoholic beverages that can be delivered are restricted under these exceptions.
- Technically speaking, states do not let two individual customers to transport wine to one another over state lines.
- As one of those states, if you want to export wine to Texas, you have a few of alternatives.
- Other states are considerably more stringent; for example, Alabama has outlawed the distribution of alcoholic beverages entirely.
- Wine subscription programs must be delivered to a state retail or package agency in order to be valid in Utah.
- While most jurisdictions now permit the shipment of wine through a licensed party, it’s a good idea to double-check the rules and restrictions in the state where your receiver resides, since these laws are subject to change.
The National Conference of State Legislatures (NCSL) is an excellent resource since it maintains a complete list of alcohol transport rules broken down by state.
Know Your Friend’s or Family Member’s Wine Preferences
ALWAYS CONSULT YOUR RECIPIENT’S STATE LAWS BEFORE SENDING WINE. It is possible to transport practically anything; nevertheless, there are certain restrictions and requirements. Wine cannot be shipped at all due to logistical constraints There are differences in wine shipping rules from state to state: most states allow wine merchants or liquor stores to send direct-to-consumer wine to a home address; however, there are certain exclusions depending on the state in which the recipient resides. Those who qualify for these exemptions must send just a specific sort and quantity of alcohol.
- From a legal standpoint, states do not allow for the shipment of alcohol between two individual users.
- As one of those states, if you want to send wine to Texas, you have a few of alternatives.
- A few of states are considerably more stringent; for example, Alabama has outlawed all alcohol-delivery services outright.
- The state of Utah requires that wine subscription programs be delivered to either a state retailer or a package distribution center.
- While most jurisdictions now permit the shipment of wine through a licensed third party, it’s a good idea to double-check the rules and restrictions in the state where your receiver resides, since these laws can change at any time and without notice.
Carefully Package Each Bottle of Wine
Unwrapping a bottle of wine is a satisfying experience, and shipping wine opens up additional possibilities for elevating the gift-giving experience. It will go a long way toward ensuring that your wine gift arrives in the same condition in which it was packaged if you include a customized message with it and adequately secure the bottle. The extra step of positioning your bottle upright in its packing, selecting a box that is the perfect size, and individually safeguarding each item are all excellent methods to go the extra mile.
Featuring double air bubble cushioning, these bottle protectors are leak-proof, as well as reusable (which is the best part). In addition to your carefully picked and packed bottle of wine, they make the ideal wine accessory to send along with your purchase.
Find the Right Box
The box in which a wine present is being transported is the ideal complement to the gift itself! In your search for the perfect box, make sure it’s robust and large enough to accommodate your bottle of wine as well as any additional packing required to keep it secure. When shipping a bottle, you can never be too cautious, so make sure to close the box tightly with strong packing tape and attach “fragile” stickers to the exterior of the container.
Take Weather into Consideration
Generally speaking, wine is best maintained when stored at temperatures below 80 degrees Fahrenheit, which is fantastic news for anyone wishing to send wine as a gift during the colder months of the year. Whether you’re shipping wine in the midst of summer or the dead of winter, there are a variety of options for keeping your bottle safe from severe heat. For example, an insulated wine bottle carrier will maintain your bottle at its optimal temperature while also providing an additional layer of protection during the shipping process.
Some Bottles Travel Better than Others
Your friend or loved one will begin organizing their next lunch or night out as soon as they get your present and call to express their gratitude for your kind gesture. When shipping wine, the amount of time the bottle spends traveling and the varietal of the wine will decide the optimal time to uncork the bottle after it has arrived at its destination. In most cases, if your receiver lives in the same state as you and the delivery was made on time, they will be able to have your wine the same day (or night) that it is delivered.
Generally, hardy wines like chardonnay, cabernet, and merlot recover fast after travel, while wines such as pinot noir, Champagne, and sparkling will require a bit more time to settle owing to sediment and effervescence in these types of wines.
Simplify Shipping Wine with Beautiful, Prepackaged Bottles and Baskets
With everything from choosing the proper bottle to studying wine shipping rules and restrictions, it may be simpler to just purchase your present from an online store who will handle everything from start to finish, including sending your gift. Online stores such as Hickory Farms offer a whole section dedicated to wine gifts, which you can find by clicking here. The wine shipping and present giving procedure is made easier with these attractively wrapped gifts, which include anything from sparkling wines and high-end still bottles to trios of wines and taster sets, as well as wines paired with gourmet foods and sweets.
- There are many other types of packages available, such as Champagne and sweets, Napa Valley sample sets, and wine and cheese charcuterie board sets, among others.
- WHEN SHIPPING WITH WINETIP, THERE ARE 7 IMPORTANT TIPS TO KEEP IN MIND: TIP 1 TIP 2 TIP 3 TIP 4 TIP 5 TIP 6 TIP 7 DOUBLE TIP Check State Regulations Regarding Wine Delivery Make Certain You’re Shipping Wine That They’ll Enjoy Each bottle of wine should be packaged with care.
- Pre-packaged bottles or baskets are a good choice.
- Knowing how to carefully package and transport bottles of wine is a simple procedure if you understand the requirements in the state where the receiver lives and how to export wine internationally.
Instead of worrying about the wine matching and shipment, let an online store to take care of everything. To get all of the greatest wine bottles and wine gift baskets to present to your loved ones, visit the Hickory Farms website right now.
Wine Gift Baskets & Gift Baskets with Wine by Harry & David
Ordering wine gift baskets is simple with HarryDavid, and they make a wonderful present for any wine enthusiast in your life. It’s a fantastic concept for individuals who love the better things in life, and it’s only available to those over the age of 21 to purchase and have it delivered. Wine gift baskets cannot be sent to a post office box, an APO/FPO address, or a foreign location. All wine gift basket orders require the recipient’s phone number, and delivery is carried out in accordance with all applicable state laws and regulations.
Can I ship a gift basket with wine?
Yes, certain gift baskets can be mailed with a wine add-on purchase, and some gift baskets contain wine as part of the gift basket purchase. Whether you’re looking for wine with charcuterie or wine with our famous fruits, we have something for everyone on your list, as long as their delivery address complies with all applicable wine requirements. This year, we’re introducing ourVitners Wine Collection!
How do I ship wine to a friend?
Select their favorite wine from a selection that includes sparkling wine as well as several award-winning red, white, and rose varieties! Think about your friends’ favorite items and combine them into one great wine gift box, whether you want to give wine solely or wine together with their favorite gourmet snacks in a wine gift basket.
How to Send Wine as a Gift Online
Sending wine as a present to friends and family has never been easier than it is now, thanks to the advent of the internet. Almost any type of wine you could possibly conceive is readily accessible at your fingers. Are you looking for a limited-edition bottle of Château La Mission Haut-Brion Blanc from 2007? Without ever leaving the comfort of your own home, you may send this wine as a present to someone special. To find out if a wine shop had it in stock in the past, you would have had to visit or phone a number of different establishments.
However, while online wine stores have made the gift-giving procedure more straightforward (particularly if you’re purchasing a limited-edition bottle of wine), there are still a few things to bear in mind when purchasing wine online.
Furthermore, you need to be aware of which internet vendors you can rely on to thoroughly check, authenticate, insure, and pack the wine for its travel.
How to Legally Send Wine as a Gift Online
Unless you reside in the United States, you will not be able to purchase wine from your local wine store and mail it to your friends or family members since it is unlawful to transport wine over the mail without a valid shipping license. Instead, you’ll need to either purchase your presents from an internet merchant and have them shipped to the recipient on your behalf, or find a local wine shop or vineyard that is willing to ship the wine to the recipient on your behalf. Instead of sending wine, if your gift recipient resides in a state with severe wine shipping regulations, you can consider giving them a gift voucher to a local wine shop instead.
Utah, Oklahoma, Alabama, Mississippi, Delaware, and Kentucky are among the states with the tightest wine transportation regulations in the US, according to the Wine Institute.
There are however certain states that do not allow any wine to be delivered by the mail under any circumstances, even if it is being sent from inside the same state as the recipient.
Before beginning this process, thoroughly investigate the regulations in both your state and the state where the gift receiver resides well in advance.
Choosing the Best Wine Gift for Your Recipient
After you’ve figured out the logistics of shipping, you’ll need to decide on the type of wine to send along. This is dependent on the specific preferences of the individual who will receive your gift. As a general guideline, choose wines that you have previously observed your recipient enjoying, or choose easy-drinking, crowd-pleasing varieties that don’t require a long period of maturation time in the bottle before serving. In addition, rare wines are fantastic gifts because these bottles aren’t often accessible at local wine shops or restaurants.
Due to the fact that they are often highly choosy and already have vast wine collections, serious wine fans might be among of the most difficult people to purchase for in the world.
When selecting a wine as a present, think about whether you want the recipient to enjoy the wine right away or whether you want them to store it in their collection for a long time.
Here are a few examples of rare or high-quality wines that you might want to consider sending as a gift to someone you care about: Wines that have been aged and are ready to drink
- Among the notable wines are the 2000 Château Haut-Bailly, the 1985 Château Ducru-Beaucaillou, 1996 Château Margaux, the 1996 Château Pichon Lalande, the 1995 Château Valandraud, and the 2000 Château Lafite Rothschild.
Vintages for Collectors to Store and Age in the Future
- 2016 Château Figeac
- 2010 Château Angélus
- 2010 Château Lafite Rothschild
- 2017 Château Lynch-Bages
- 2016 Colgin Cariad
- 2015 Talenti Brunello Di Montalcino Piero
- 2016 Eisele Vineyard Cabernet Sauvignon
- 2016 Domaine De La Vieille Julienne Châteauneuf-du-Pape Réserve
- 2018 Château L’Église-Clinet
- 2018 Château Pavie
- 2017 Château L’Église-Clinet
- 2017 Château Pavie
In addition to picking wines based on taste and desire, it is a good idea to select wines that are well-suited for travel. Older bottles, for example, sometimes suffer from bottle shock after traveling, which causes their tastes to become muted for a short period of time. Experts in the field of wine are still baffled as to why this occurs. One explanation holds that the taste compounds in the wine and the sediment in the bottle mix together during the shipping and handling. We are aware that this is merely a short-term difficulty for now.
- Although bottle shock is very transitory, it is something you should keep in mind when sending wine as a gift over the internet.
- If you want your receiver to enjoy the wine at an anniversary meal that is scheduled only a day or two after it arrives, don’t send it in this condition.
- This offers the wine merchant plenty of time to get the wine to its final destination, as well as time for the bottle to settle completely before it is opened for consumption.
- Although it is preferable if your friend or loved one has professional storage or a dedicated wine fridge or cellar, it is not necessary for your gift recipient to have one of these to keep their wine safe.
Alternatively, the wine can be kept in a cold, dark location (such as a kitchen cupboard) until it has settled.
How to Make Sure Your Wine Travels Safely
Because you must send wine gifts online through a licensed store, the shipping logistics are typically taken care of for you, so you don’t have to bother about purchasing specific shipping cases or packing your wine. However, because some shippers are more dependable than others, it’s crucial to inquire about the shipping methods they employ when transporting wine to customers. Some merchants, for example, provide two delivery options: regular and white glove, which are essentially the same thing.
- When a shop uses standard shipping, it typically implies that the wine will be packaged in cardboard containers that are particularly designed to hold the bottle size in question.
- In order to prevent your wine from being exposed to the elements, a reputable vendor will utilize expedited and temperature-controlled delivery.
- Using white glove services, the wine will be transported in a temperature-controlled van, ensuring that it is handled tenderly and remains safe throughout the voyage.
- The disadvantages of white glove shipping are that they might be more expensive and that they are not always accessible for all orders.
How to Personalize Your Gift
When sending wine as a present, personalisation is something to keep in mind in addition to the price. When you deliver a present in person, you can arrange the wine in a nice basket or wrap it with a ribbon to make it more memorable. When you buy wine online, on the other hand, you can only personalize your present to the extent that the shop permits it to be. Some shops do provide extra touches, such as handwritten messages, to their customers. You may even acquire full gift baskets online, albeit you will have to determine whether the wine contained therein is intriguing and of excellent quality for yourself before placing your order.
Therefore, if you’re shopping for a present for a true wine connoisseur, it’s best to focus on the quality or rarity of the wine itself rather than the customisation possibilities offered by the vendor.
If you want to make the present feel even more special, you might include a second box including food items that go well with the wine you choose.
Several in-depth instructions are provided below, which may be used to learn more about how to personalize a present or discover the best bottles for everyone on your holiday buying list.
Best Wine Delivery Services of 2022
- Price (plus shipping): Prices start at less than $15, including postage. Shipping time is estimated to be between 3 and 12 business days. Availability: As far as local laws allow, throughout the United States.
Why We Selected It A unique searching feature, provided by this business, assures that your wine will match nicely with your meal by allowing you to pick what you intend to serve and then suggesting the finest wine alternatives for you. ProsConsPros
- Searching is a lot of fun
- There’s a lot to choose from
- And there are food combination ideas.
- Shipping to some locations may take up to 12 days. The checkout page took a long time to load and navigate
- There will be no flat cost shipping
Depending on the location, shipping might take up to 12 days. Having trouble loading and navigating the check out page; There are no flat shipping rates;
Best Organic/Natural/Biodynamic Stock :Chambers Street Wines
- Price (plus shipping): Prices start at less than $20, including postage. Shipping time is estimated to be between 1 and 5 days. Availability: As far as local laws allow, throughout the United States.
Why We Selected It The wines available are meticulously chosen by their staff through in-house tastings, and they include only the best natural wines from small producers, according to their criteria. ProsConsPros
- Wines produced by tiny, artisanal wineries
- Special offer on a 12-bottle purchase
- One-time purchase with different club membership choices
- New wine lovers may be unfamiliar with certain wine producers and varietals. The website contains a great deal of information and requires much effort to browse
- Free delivery is not available to members of clubs.
Brief DescriptionIn 2001, wine shop proprietors David Lillie and Jamie Wolff launched their store in New York City’s Tribeca district to promote wines from small producers, with a particular emphasis on organic, natural, and biodynamic wines. In order to create a uniquely personal and curated inventory, they test and taste all of the wines they carry (which means they don’t rely on tasting notes or point scores to determine what they buy). They place a strong emphasis on wines from Austria, Burgundy, Germany, the Loire Valley, Piedmont, and the Rhone.
Additionally, the website provides real-time inventory, ensuring that you are constantly aware of what is available.
Best Unique Options :Gary’s WineMarketplace
- Price (plus shipping): Prices start at less than $15, including postage. Shipping time is estimated to be between 1 and 9 days
- Availability is available across the United States, according to local regulations.
Why We Selected It We provide a wide selection of domestic and foreign wines at a variety of price points to suit any budget. You can also add beer, spirits, and gourmet foods to your order. ProsConsPros
- A large assortment of wines from the United States and other countries
- On the product page, you can see an estimate of the delivery cost. Optional one-time purchases and wine club memberships are available.
- There will be no flat cost shipping
- Free shipping is only available to those who participate in a yearly program. There is no customisation available for wine clubs.
Overview Having expanded to have five physical locations—four in northern New Jersey and one in St. Helena, California—has Gary’s established itself as one of the greatest sources for both quality and more affordable wine in the country. Gary’s crew travels to wine areas all over the world on a regular basis in order to build connections with producers and source wines that are otherwise difficult to obtain.
Best Rare Finds :K L Wine Merchants
- Price (plus shipping): Prices start at less than $15, including postage. Availability in nine states
- Estimated shipping time varies depending on location.
Why We Selected It This California-based store, which has been in the wine business since 1976, sells everything from inexpensive bottles of table wine to rare vintages that are only accessible through auction. ProsConsPros
- A wide range of pricing ranges and wines are available
- Both single purchases and wine club memberships are available. On the website there is a useful shipping rate calculator.
- Only nine states are served
- No free delivery is provided by the clubs. Some wines have a hidden price structure that requires a sign-in to access
OverviewThere are few wine shops that are as well-known as K L, which is situated in Northern California and has retail locations in San Francisco, Redwood City, and Hollywood. Since 1976, the K L’s crew has traveled the globe for the greatest wines at the best prices. Whether you’re searching for top bottles from Napa and Sonoma or buzzed-about wines from lesser-known places like Belize, China, Lebanon, and beyond, you won’t have to seek far for the best bottles. Moreover, if you’re a wine collector looking for ancient and unusual vintages, you’d be hard pushed to locate vintages like these anywhere else than an auction house.
Best Deals :Last Bottle
- Price (plus shipping): Prices vary, with free shipping on orders of a certain minimum value. Shipping time is estimated to be between 2 and 5 days. Availability: As far as the laws allow, 48 states are covered.
Why We Selected It You may save up to 70% off retail pricing on popular bottles of premium wines, plus when you purchase the minimum amount mentioned, you will receive free shipping on your order. ProsConsPros
- A great method to stock your wine refrigerator with a variety of wines
- Availability of high-quality wines at reasonable rates
- Information on each wine and transaction is supplied that is beneficial
- There is one glass of wine available every day. Free delivery is available when purchasing multiple bottles of the same wine. Popular wines sell out in a short period of time.
Overview Last Bottle is a game that you will like if you enjoy gambling and getting a good bargain on wine even more. If you move quickly enough each day, you may be able to catch an incredible deal at deeply discounted pricing, saving anywhere from 30 percent to even 70% off the regular price. Last Bottle presents a different bottle of wine each day, sourced from various locations across the world, until the bottle is depleted completely. The site also offers a marathon sale at various times throughout the year, which is essentially a large blow-out wine sale in which wines sell out and new ones are promptly put in their places, keeping the selection fresh throughout the sale.
Best High-End :SommPicks
- Price (plus shipping): Prices vary, as does the cost of shipping. Shipping time is estimated to be between 1 and 6 days. Availability: Throughout the United States, to the extent that state laws permit
Why We Selected It Shop for high-quality wines from across the world that are favoured by sommeliers, at a range of price ranges to suit a variety of budgets and palates. ProsConsPros
- Ideal for wine enthusiasts with a lot of expertise
- There are some unusual varietals and vintages available
- A wide variety of pricing points is available
- Some options may be out of stock due to a lack of supply. Shipping discounts are available exclusively on orders over $200 and in certain locations of California. Some of the wines available for purchase are currently in transit and not yet in stock.
Overview This website is intended for wine enthusiasts who have more refined palates and a little more money to spend on high-quality wine. The business, which was founded by sommelier Mike Zima, hunts for high-quality bottles and sells them at reasonable costs. You’ll frequently come across limited-edition wines and bottles from up-and-coming stars. Will there be cabernet sauvignon and chardonnay available? Sure. Wine enthusiasts will be delighted to learn that mondeuse, friulano, and mencia are among the more obscure grape varieties grown in the region.
Best Customization :Winc
- Starting at $24.95 (plus shipping), with free shipping
- Estimated delivery time: 3 to 7 days
- Availability: 38 states in the United States
Why We Selected It You can choose to join a wine club that will pick wines for you based on your specific preferences, or you can enjoy the freedom of selecting your own bottles of wine. ProsConsPros
- Clubs picked by a professional or those chosen by the player
- Membership in the club includes free shipping. Options for one-time purchases as well as membership clubs
- For orders to arrive within 7 business days, please allow extra time. Does not deliver to all 50 states
- To establish your wine tastes, you will be asked only a few questions.
Overview What begins as a questionnaire to evaluate your wine palate ends with you receiving a selection of wines every month that is tailored to your specific preferences. Winc helps you discover wine from all over the world, much of which they have acquired and bottled themselves. Bottles start at an average price of $13, and you may save money by buying in bulk. By using the link provided above, you may get four bottles for $24.95 each.
Best Mass Market :Wine.com
- Beginning at around $20 plus postage (with free shipping for members), the price includes everything. Shipping time is estimated to be between 1 and 4 days. Availability: Throughout the United States, to the extent that state laws permit
Reasons for Choosing ItSelf-described as the world’s largest wine store, you can find anything from widely disseminated wines by famous brands to tiny boutique options at a variety of pricing points. ProsConsPros
- Selection that can’t be beaten
- The website is simple to browse
- Purchase one time with the possibility to join a club
- The cost of the club varies depending on the wines selected for you. To receive free delivery, you must sign up for an annual program. There will be no flat cost shipping
Overview If you buy wine online, it’s likely that you’ve heard of the website Wine.com. There are hundreds of wines from all over the world available at reasonable costs on this website, which is arguably the largest online wine shop. Is it possible to find ordinary wines? Yes, without a doubt. However, you’ll also come across some hidden gems amid the company’s goods.
Best Bottle Sets :Wine Insiders
- Beginning at about $20 plus $14.95 delivery (free shipping on six or more bottles), this product is reasonably priced. Shipping time is estimated to be between 1 and 3 business days. Availability: 40 states in the United States
Why We Selected It When you’re looking for a unique present or a pleasant surprise for yourself, Wine Insiders has a vast range of bottle sets with wines from all over the world. ProsConsPros
- There are several different bottle sets and sizes to pick from
- Purchase one time with the possibility to join a club
- Wines from the club are only available to members.
- Some sets and clubs include many bottles of the same wine
- The only colors available for the club are red and white. For shipping purposes, a three-bottle minimum order is required.
Overview Are you fed up with walking into a wine shop and having no idea what you’re supposed to be looking for? Not interested in spending a bunch on a fantastic bottle of wine? Wine Insiders was established to alleviate both of these problems. Not only does the site provide excellent single bottles in a variety of categories, but the staff here also puts together wine packages to make it simpler to find wine you like—or that you may fall in love with.
You may get free delivery on orders of six or more bottles, which is a decent offer considering that many of the bottles are under $20.
When you want to avoid making a trip to the shop and instead have your bottles delivered to your home, there are a variety of wine delivery services to select from. Each provides something distinctive, making it appealing to a diverse range of wine enthusiasts as well as a diverse range of wine budgets. Those who are looking for a huge wine selection with a great number of alternatives to pick from, such as those supplied by Wine.com, may be interested in Wine.com. Another group of people is interested in learning more about natural and biodynamic wines, such as those offered by Chambers Wine Street.
Service providers such as Bottlerocket recommend wines that match well with your dinner, while SommPick claims to supply the sort of high-end wines that sommeliers love.
Compare The Best Wine Delivery Services
|Company||Price (+Shipping)||Estimated Shipping Time||Availability||Customizations|
|BottlerocketBest Food Pairing||Starts at $15 plus shipping||3 to 12days||Nationwide as laws allow||Yes|
|Chambers Street WinesBest Organic/Natural/Biodynamic Stock||Starts at under $20 plus shipping||1 to 5 days||Nationwide as laws allow||Yes|
|Gary’s WineMarketplaceBest Unique Options||Starts at under $15 plus shipping, clubs ship free||1 to 9 days||Nationwide as laws allow||One-time orders – YesClubs – No|
|K L Wine MerchantsBest Rare Finds||Starts at under $15 plus shipping||Varies by location||9 states||One-time orders – YesClubs – No|
|Last BottleBest Deals||Prices vary, free shipping with minimum order||2 to 5 days||48 states as laws allow||No|
|SommPicksBest High-End||Prices vary plus shipping||1 to 6 days||Nationwide as laws allow||Yes|
|WincBest Customization||Starts at $24.95 with free shipping||3 to 7 days||38 states nationwide||Yes|
|Wine.comBest Mass Market||Starts under $20 plus shipping||1 to 4 days||Nationwide as state laws allow||One-time orders – YesClub – No|
|Wine InsidersBest Bottle Sets||Starts at under $20 plus $14.95 shipping, free shipping on 6+ bottles||1 to 3 days||40 states nationwide||One-time orders – Yes Sets and Club – No|
Guide to Choosing the Best Wine Delivery Services
Instruct the reader to evaluate their requirements before deciding to purchase from a wine delivery service, whether they are a wine enthusiast wishing to expand their wine cellar collection or someone who wishes to get more knowledgeable about the subtleties of various types of wines. You can specify whether they are seeking for a one-time shipment or whether they prefer a continual supply or subscription in this section.
Comparing Wine Delivery Services
This section serves as a quick shopping guide for those who are interested in purchasing anything. What are the most essential considerations that they should bear in mind when making this decision? Mention to the reader that they should take into consideration the most important characteristics of each wine delivery service. Some considerations to consider are delivery prices, availability, variety, and the availability of subscriptions, among others. List items should be brief and bolded, and they should be followed by 1-2 lines of context for the argument being made.
Purchasing from a Wine Delivery Service
Inform the reader on what will happen after they have made a purchase. To give an example, what is the typical time a customer should anticipate their wine delivery to arrive? Emphasize online account management and order tracking so that they can stay on top of things. Is there a website or an app that you can use?
Frequently Asked Questions
Shortly put, a wine delivery service will become your new best buddy. Because of the convenience of online shopping and the relatively rapid delivery times, you may purchase your favorite wines without ever having to leave your home. Some fall into the classic internet store category, while others have a more membership-based or club-like approach to business. For example, Winc will automatically send you a selection of wines based on your own preferences at the frequency you specify (but you may always alter what’s in your box) based on your preferences.
What Are the Benefits of Ordering My Wine Through a Delivery Service Versus Going to the Store?
Shopping for wine online or through an app offers a number of advantages, not the least of which is the fact that no real labor or time is necessary other than opening your computer and exploring various sites and options. In the case of purchasing wine through an online wine delivery service, you have access to hundreds of different store inventories at your fingertips, allowing you to compare prices as you browse and be confident that you’ve gotten the best bargain possible.
On the negative side of online wine purchasing is the lack of instruction and assistance from a store staff; however, many of these websites include live chat services that allow you to ask any questions you may have.
What’s the Difference Between a Wine Delivery Service and a Wine Subscription?
An online wine merchant that distributes your order directly to your door is referred to as a wine delivery service in the broadest sense. Alternatively, it can refer to on-demand services such as Instacart, Drizly, or Minibar, which enable you to shop for items from local retailers from your computer or phone and have your purchase delivered to your door in as little as an hour. A wine subscription, on the other hand, sends wines to your home or workplace on a regular basis, but the structure is a little different: subscriptions are continuing, and they’ll frequently take your palate profile into consideration in order to build a selection that you’re guaranteed to appreciate.
A large number of choices were investigated in order to create a list of the nine top wine delivery services. Several factors were considered in order to guarantee that the regions, varietals, vintages, and brands supplied by each service suited the expectations of clients wanting excellent value and superb tasting wines. We considered a variety of factors in our search, including price range, delivery charges, membership choices, and minimum purchases. We took into consideration the different types and varieties of wines available, ranging from lower-priced big brands to rare vintages that fetch high prices, in order to provide options for the best wine delivery services, regardless of whether you’re a first-time wine drinker, a seasoned wine expert, or somewhere in between.